Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Fish done two ways... as in the way it was suppose to be done, and the way it is getting done.


A quick thanks to my cousin, J, who designed my new banner... thank you, thank you. He's on top of things. I however am buried somewhere under a pile of rubbish that hasn't gotten done.... like say... oh a food blog post or two. I could blame the darling husband for leaving our computers in Illinois on the way to our vacation, but honestly I wouldn't have had time to write a thing, Internet service in which to post, or the desire to do so while sitting on a porch looking out over Lake Champlain with a glass of red wine, and local farm Vermont cheese. How I miss the Green Mountains.



Onto food related items... I was suppose to make Halibut tonight, but opened my fridge this afternoon to find out why said Halibut was on sale... whew... anyway... the Halibut sits waiting for the garbage men in the morning, and instead we are going for sushi. I will make the Halibut on Saturday, and since I am just back and drowning in other things, and have technically eaten this very recipe I'm posting it anyway. Since the only people that may possibly even know I have a blog are probably family members I'm sure you'll forgive me. Especially since I fed more than half of you while on vacation. And onto the food....


Halibut with Avocado Mash and Green Papaya Slaw

Ingredients

8 cups water
4 shallots, thinly sliced
6 garlic cloves, halved
12 thyme sprigs
2 tablespoons black peppercorns
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 lemon, halved
2 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
Crushed red pepper
1 pound green papaya—peeled seeded and julienned (2 cups)
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 large Hass avocado, mashed
Four 6-ounce skinless halibut fillets

Method

In a large saucepan, combine the water, shallots, garlic, thyme, peppercorns, kosher salt and oil. Squeeze the lemon over the saucepan and add to the pan. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a microwave-safe bowl, mix the sugar and vinegar and microwave at high power for 1 minute; stir to dissolve the sugar. Add a pinch of crushed red pepper and the green papaya. Season with sea salt and black pepper and toss to coat.
In a small bowl, mash the lime juice into the avocado and season with sea salt and crushed red pepper.

Place the halibut in a deep, medium skillet, leaving some space between the fillets. Strain enough of the aromatic poaching liquid over the fish to just cover it. Simmer the halibut gently over very low heat just until the fish flakes easily with a fork, about 10 minutes.
Spoon the mashed avocado onto 4 plates and top with the halibut. Using a slotted spoon, mound the papaya slaw on the fish and serve right away.

NOTES One serving 310 cal, 11 gm fat, 1.5 gm sat fat, 17 gm carb, 4.3 gm fiber.



And when all else fails take the family out for sushi. PS... the baby loves cucumber rolls with soy sauce and wasabi.








1 comment:

  1. And this is not my photo... my photos did not come out. I stole this from photobucket as I was told you are allowed to do that. If not sorry... I'm still learning.

    ReplyDelete