Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Calling Mushroom Lovers and Those Who Wish To Like Mushrooms


These look like unassuming stuffed mushrooms don't they?  You think that's what they are.... what these little babies are, are my secret weapon!  These mushrooms have converted many a mushroom hater, and I can pretty much use them as a bargaining chip to get my friend Bryan to do things like say.... host a BBQ for ten to twenty of my closest family and friends at a moments notice.  Although I think the large batch of lobster from a few posts ago may have helped with that matter. 

Everyone has that recipe.  You know the recipe that you make that isn't really difficult, but that people really love.  And I mean the kind of love that when they tell other people about the recipe they make little happy faces and maybe once in awhile do a little dance.  Don't get me wrong I like these, that's why I make them, but I don't dance for them... but my friend Jess might.  Jessica and Bryan... this post is for the two of you since you are both separated from your mushroom hook-up by about 1500 miles.  Love you.  Mwah.

Eileen's Stuffed Mushrooms
From Moi

Ingredients

1 pound of baby bella, wiped, de-stemmed, and lightly oiled, finely chop about 1/3 of the stems and set them aside
1 package of frozen spinach (10oz), thawed, and squeezed of as much liquid as possible
1 bunch of scallion, washed, and diced, all the white and the light green as well
A generous sprinkle of breadcrumbs
8oz. cream cheese, softened
3oz. garlic herb feta, finely diced
parmesan (I've never measured it... hmmmm.... I'd say a good handful)
Olive Oil
garlic clove or two, minced

Method

Scoop out the mushrooms so can stuff them.

Put a large glug of olive oil in the pan... get it good and hot.  Add garlic and onion.  Saute until they get glossy (real technical terms here).  Add the finely chopped mushroom stems.  Break up spinach and add.  Break up any remaining clumps.  Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.  Add half the grated parmesan, stir again.  Add the cream cheese.  Stir around so it's fairly mixed.  Then add the feta, mixed again (like I said... difficult stuff here).  Overstuff the mushrooms.  Sprinkle with remaining parmesan.  Cook for 20 minutes or until they are heated through and the parm gets all toasty and delicious.

If you're mushrooms are particularly thick, you may want to cook them for about 10 minutes before stuffing and cooking again.  Otherwise the mushrooms don't get soft enough and there will be no happy dance.

2 comments:

  1. These looks so good! As soon as it's cool enough to use the stove again, I'm trying this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't like mushrooms, so i guess you will have to make them for me next time i visit

    ReplyDelete