Sunday, August 29, 2010

Things We Eat


When you're two something as simple as a mini dill pickle can make you say "You're a good cook Mommy."  Ummmm thanks buddy.  But when you're....... let's just say no longer two..... you can cook up a storm and not be overly impressed with any of it.  It is Tuesday and I can already tell that when it comes to next week.... I got nothin' fur you.  I know this because I'm still battling a head cold from last week, I am drowning in homework thanks to the cold, and I have class again this week which means unless I make something miraculous on Sunday I GOT NOTHIN' FUR YOU.... of course if I make something amazing on Sunday you wouldn't be seeing this post so guess what?  There is a fantastic recipe at the end of the post if you want to just skip on down to it, but it was just posted for the first time a week ago or so, and even I have scruples enough not to repost so soon after the original post.  So scroll on down if you want to skip the whining, however if you enjoy a good miserable sulk let us take a stroll down disappointment lane for a moment shall we?

It's not that I was a slacker in the kitchen, I really wasn't.... I made these gigantic meatballs that Guy Fieri raved about in Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives....


This photo really doesn't do it justice, I mean it looks kind of big here but seriously they are bigger than baseballs, you can tell when they are in the pan....



You can only fit 6 in a pan it's crazy.  I knew there was no way all the food from those places could be as fantastic as he says... I mean these were so-so at best.  Fairly bland which was a pity.  I do like that they are big enough that the meatball alone can be the meal, so I plan on adjusting this to more my style in the near future.  Right now they are in the process of the freezer experiment, which is where I take a serving of everything I am cooking, throw it in the freezer and then thaw it in a week or two to see if it is still edible.  This is in anticipation for the upcoming arrival where I will have a 2 year old, a newborn, a teenager, a full-time job, and a 10 day window to have a baby, recover and study for a test and get back to class.  Which means I won't be cooking anything that requires more time than oatmeal for about a month, and I have no interest in living on oatmeal if I can avoid it.

I made these Raspberry Breakfast Bars from Smitten Kitchen


Yummy and tart, but there's only so many recipes you can poach from another blogger before you really should feel ashamed of yourself. Also in the freezer experiment.

I did re-make the Spanokopita (last piece is in the freezer) in pie form for my sister, with the addition of a bunch of sliced scallions....  Delish, but I just wrote about that... is that self-poaching?

To make it into a pie I buttered and folded some of the phyllo, lined the bottom of a small square glass pan, baked the phyllo at 350 for about 5 minutes then added the filling.  Baked again for 15, topped with buttered, layered phyllo and baked until golden brown.  Click here for filling composition, but don't forget to add the bunch of sliced scallions.  All the white and up to the dark green.... even more flavorful.

However, the highlight of my week was finding these little guys at the co-op.


How gorgeous and cute are they?  I say cute because they are tiny.


Locally grown Bolivian Rainbow Peppers.  Never heard of them before but I had to buy them, but what to do with them... ahh look.  I also found these leftover from my husband's birthday.


and then thanks to my blog obsession I found this recipe for Green Bean Curry from No Recipes.  Mine doesn't look nearly as appetizing as his for one I used a green pepper instead of a red, so there wasn't much for color contrast but I just wanted to use my little peppers, and I just wanted dinner since I was sick and really just wanted to ball up on the couch and be miserable. However this was hot enough to clear my sinuses if only for a bit.  SOOO good... I highly recommend giving a it a look  See you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment