Sunday, January 23, 2011

Roasted Cauliflower Puree


I've been on quite the vegetable kick lately, only I seem to be on a mission to make them as unhealthy as possible.  I also haven't really been cooking a whole lot lately so my vegetable intake has been fairly limited to salads loaded with ranch dressing, salt and pepper... again... not so healthy.  In my defense I haven't been cooking because I just happen to be concentrating on these little dishes right here.


Michael is a big brother!  A kind and adoring big brother to our surprise and delight!  And introducing.... as he says "that is baby sissy Juliet".  He is adorable and completely in love with her.  Whew!  Anyone that knows us knows he's a little ummmm.... hmmm how do we say this nicely..... a little high spirited.

I am very happy that I have pre-cooked several meals, and plotted out a couple of quick meals, and take out stops to make life around here easier.  The one thing I noticed is that if an entire family is home for about a week and they eat every meal in said home you make a lot of dishes, A LOT, A WHOLE LOT!

The one thing I did not make in advance was vegetable sides.  Small problem with that.  When you need energy and you should be eating healthy, you need your veggies.  Okay so this is the healthiest dish I've ever made but it certainly isn't the worse. 


I've made this dish a few times already from various recipes.  Some steam the cauliflower first, some mash it roughly so that it still has big chunks... so far they have all been good but none have been just what I wanted... so with a few major tweaks here and there I offer you for your viewing displeasure (ugly, ugly dish) Roasted Cauliflower Puree.  Now I wish I had another head of cauliflower in the fridge so I could make this again tomorrow.


Roasted Cauliflower Puree

from Eileen's Pea Brain

Ingredients

Head of cauliflower, cut into florets
2 tablespoons Olive oil, plus a little extra for shallots
2 tablespoons butter, soft
Kosher salt
1/3 cup grated parmesan
1/3 cup grated gruyere
1/8 cup half and half
Shallots, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon or less of flour

Method

Cut a head of cauliflower cut into florets and toss w/ kosher salt and olive oil.

Roast at 400F for about 40 minutes, or until cauliflower florets are turning caramel color.

Thinly sliced shallots, sprinkle with flour. Heat a little oil in a pan. Toss in shallots until brown and crispy.

Throw cauliflower in a strainer and steam for about 2 minutes just to help soften and warm. Can skip this step if you’re not picky (I was making mashed potatoes as well so I actually just put the strainer on top of the boiling potatoes and threw a lid on it).

Put roasted cauliflower, butter, half and half and parmesan in food processor and pulse until desired consistency is achieved. Some like this a little chunkier for texture but I’ve made it a few times and I like it pretty pureed. Season with salt and pepper. Add the crispy shallots and give another pulse.

Place in your serving bowl and top with grated gruyere, stir in cheese, serve warm.
Garnish with fresh parsley.

2 comments:

  1. The puree sounds terrific and will go with so many other things. I must say, however, it takes a back seat to your beautiful children. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the photo of the final product looked lovely! But not as lovely as your son and newest addition to the family - Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete