Monday, June 13, 2011

Marinated Skirt Steak

Western Magazine Photo

So the husband and I watch a lot of Food Network. We used to watch it and then recreate recipes, but typically now we just watch it and drool and then order bad pizza because no one has time to cook in our house. Well that time my friend has come to an end. I am happy to announce that I have completed the course work for my Master degree and to celebrate I marinated a coveted skirt steak. I called it coveted because every time I have ever gone to the store looking for skirt steak here in Lincoln, they have never had it, and I have been told you can substitute flank steak and that it is the same thing. I have been LIED to. The two steaks are not even the same animal... okay well technically they are exactly the same animal but you get what I'm saying.


I would also like to mention that even if I did not have any time we could still make this (minus the million hours it took me cut off all the fat and connective tissue), it took about 10 minutes to make the marinade and it another 10 to cook it. It took about 5 minutes for it to disappear off the plate.... no joke we never even broke out the forks. The husband cut it up into thin strips and the two of us plus a friend just ate it with our fingers. Sounds a bit barbaric but it had such as nice char that it was like a mini meat appetizer of sorts...totally finger food worthy. That and it was 10pm and we were starving.

Why were we eating steak at 10pm you may ask... well for the same reason there are no photos of the actual steak... the husband had a flight that came into Omaha at 6:30 which is about an hour and 15 minutes away. I loaded up the kids and went out to meet his plane that was about 15 minutes late... which wouldn't have been a big deal but I had this in the car for a solid HOUR AND A HALF


We tried to pull over and walk around Whole Foods to see if it improved her mood, and it did... a true sign that she is a child of my heart, but as soon as we put her back in the car the tears and screaming started up again. I suspect it was her disappointment in not being able to take anything away from the cheese island due to her Milk Protein Soy Intolerance, but it might have been the lack of quail eggs that sent her over the edge, and unlike Mamma she could not console herself with a great bottle of Bordeaux, picked up on sale.

Now.... grab yourself some Tabouleh salad, and a great bottle of red and make this finger food... I mean steak that you will eat like a civilized human being with a fork.

Marinated Skirt Steak
The New American Steakhouse Cookbook
Ingredients


3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup corn oil or other neutral oil such as grapeseed or canola
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 shallots, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon kosher salt
4 pounds skirt steak, cleaned of all exterior fat and connective tissue

Method

Put all ingredients except the steak in a blender and blend until smooth.

Pour the marinade over the skirt steak in a nonreactive pan.

Marinate, refrigerated, for 3 to 4 hours before grilling, but no more than 10 hours.
When ready to cook the steaks, prepare your grill for grilling.

Remove the skirt steak from the marinade and clean away any excess marinade with the back of a knife.
Grill the steak over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes per side to serve it rare to medium-rare.
When cooked, slice the steak thinly against the grain, starting at one corner and cutting on the bias. Serve either hot or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment