Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Roast Pork Loin with Fennel Mustard


Who said eating healthy is boring?  What?  I said it?  Yeah you're right.  It can be... but this dish is not!  I promise.  What's even better?  I made the fennel mustard the night before and stored it in the refrigerator overnight.  I brought it to room temp before serving.

Side dishes were ridiculously easy as well.  Canned green beans with center cut bacon and shallots, (I know canned... but I had then as a kid and I have a soft spot for anything bacon flavored.  Who doesn't?) and fingerling potatoes tossed with a little olive oil, rosemary, dill, salt, and pepper.  The whole meal took about 10 minutes of active time.  You can't beat that when you are having cooking/life burn out.  Cooking this has managed to get me out of my cooking funk and back on the road to being interested in something other than sleep, budgeting, and recycling!  The husband managed to say, "this is really good honey," about six times during the course of the meal, and I agree.  Enjoy.

To cook the pork loin I rinsed the pork with cold water.  Patted it dry.  Seasoned it with salt, pepper, cayenne, garlic powder, and  onion salt.  Then I heated about 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet and seared it on all sides before throwing it in the oven at 350 until it registered 160 on a meat thermometer.  I don't care what people say about how safe it is, pink pork freaks me out.


Fennel Mustard
ad hoc at home

Ingredients
1 tablespoon vegetable oil.
3 cups chopped fennel
½ cup white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon of water
1 teaspoon dry mustard
2 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
Salt to taste

Method
In a skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Add chopped fennel, cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 25 minutes. Add white wine vinegar and cook, uncovered, until the fennel is tender, 15 minutes. Transfer the contents of the skillet to a blender. Add water and dry mustard powder and puree. Scrape the puree into a bowl and let cool. Stir in whole-grain mustard and season with salt. Transfer to jar, cover and refrigerate.  Bring to room temperature before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment