Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Smoky Maple-Chipotle Wings



I have never made real wings before.  I had always made boneless wings, or my version of boneless wings which while acceptable to me (a low-fat version) really wouldn't fly at a gathering of any sort except maybe a weight watchers meeting where people are dying for a wing fix of any kind.

This year I wanted to bring chicken wings to a super bowl party but there were so  many choices, which kind should I make?  I did a small poll and threw in this one just because it sounded different, and it won hands down for the flavor of choice.

A few things shocked me about these wings. 

One, they didn't come all nice and prepared like they do at a bar.  They came as a whole wing as you can see below and had to be prepped.  The husband was giving the baby a bath so that left me with the fun of breaking joints and attacking this poor piece of meat with a heavy clever and a really sharp knife.  I am happy to say all of my own digits are still present, however my psyche did not escape so unharmed.  I'm a little traumatized.

Two, they were baked not fried, but you would never know.

And three, they were super easy, fast (aside form cooking time), and delicious!  In fact I had to make my husband take them to work so I wouldn't be left in the house with nothing but these wings and my flimsy will power.




Smoky Maple-Chipotle Wings
Adapted from Food and Wine

Ingredients

2 Tablespoons flour (use rice flour for gluten-free)
1 teaspoon salt
2 pounds chicken wings
2 ½ Tablespoons franks chili-lime sauce
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon sage
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
2 tablespoons chipotle peppers in adobe sauce

Method

Open your can of chipotle peppers in adobe sauce. Place into blender, chopper, or food processor. Pulse until fairly smooth, use 2 tablespoons of this and then place the rest in the fridge for future use.

Preheat oven to 500o. Line a large baking sheet with foil and spray with vegetable oil. In a bowl, mix the flour with the salt and sage. Add the chicken and toss to coat, (I whisked the dry ingredients in a bowl, then put them in a Ziplock bag with the wings, it’s easier just to shake the hell out of them, coats evenly, wipe out the bowl and use it for the sauce step).

Spread the chicken on the baking sheet in a single layer and spray with vegetable oil. Roast the chicken for 45 minutes (35 for my oven), turning once halfway through, until browned and crispy.

In a bowl, toss the chicken with the hot sauce, butter, maple syrup and pureed peppers in sauce; serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment