Thursday, February 11, 2010

Spicy Pickled Eggs


I posted photos of the last time I made pickled eggs, and while much prettier they were sweet. I am not a person who really believes that sweet and egg is a fabulous flavor combo. In fact I prefer to keep sweet and protein separate. I do not like pineapple on my ham, I do not like sweet and sour anything and I most certainly do not want to see an apple or an orange segment in my chicken salad... gag.

Having vented let me just say finding a recipe for Spicy Pickled Eggs sounds easier than it is. Back in Vermont you can find these little guys at bars, hunting camps, and even corner stores. Out here in the Midwest I have yet to see a pickled egg outside of my fridge. Although they think putting gravy on fries is odd out here too so there you go.

I could not find a recipe that sounded anything like what I wanted to make, okay that is a small lie... I found one and promptly lost it and could not find it again, so I had to improvise. Here was the recipe I came up with.



Spicy Pickled Eggs
adapted from my brain

Ingredients

1 dozen eggs, hardboiled, cooled and peeled
2 cups apple cider vinegar
4 oz. hot sauce
12 oz. jar hot jalapeños, with juice
2 bay leaves
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
3 teaspoon salt
1 small onion, quartered
handful of baby carrots whole
dash of mustard seed
dash of dill weed

Method

This is a revision from the way I did it. I placed everything in a pot and boiled it until the salt dissolved. I do not recommend putting jalapeño juice or hot sauce in vinegar before you boil it. It is effectively macing yourself repeatedly for period of time.

Placed cooled eggs in jar along with your vegetables, jalapeños with juice, mustard seed, and dill weed.

Place water, vinegar, salt, bay leaves, and garlic powder in pot. Boil until salt dissolves. Cool to room temperature. Add hot sauce. Mix thoroughly. Pour into jar until all eggs and veggies are covered. Place cap on. Shake. Place in the refrigerator for 30 days. Test. I have heard they are good for up to a year... but ewww. Being that it does take a minimum of a week I haven't tested these out yet, but they don't appear too different from all the recipes people love so I am hopeful. I'll keep you posted.  PS... I also used two jars.  One large emptied pickle jar and this mason jar. Give the jars a little shake whenever you think about it while they are developing their flavor.

2 comments:

  1. Update:

    I tried them and they are tastey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I am remaking them this year with the Easter eggs. I am using 1 oz. of tabasco instead of 4 oz of hot sauce.

    ReplyDelete