Monday, May 10, 2010

Jaime Oliver's Food Revolution


Remember a while back I said how there were waves in the blog world.  That all of sudden everyone felt the need to make baked eggs, or custards, or polenta pancakes all at the same time?  Well the same is true about Jaime Oliver thanks to his new show  show food revolution which I beieve is now done, but was new when I started this post. 

This show couldn't have come at a better time for my family.  We have been using this year to get away from plastic, and packaging, and the chemicals and fats that pass for food these days.  I started this little project before I managed to sit down and watch the show (on-line), but watching the show really ramp up my motivation. 

The first to go was anything with high fructose corn syrup.  Here are the culprits in our house:

                                                                            
Getting rid of (most of) this stuff was easy.  That Grenadine and those cherries are from a Summer party last year (ewwww) to make Shirley temples.  The Lite syrup was from a diet attempt... it's nasty and thick and I use regular syrup anyway so that went.  The ketchup posed a larger problem.  My husband will not eat anything but Heinz ketchup.  I think I would have had to wrestle it away from him had I not found out that Heinz organic ketchup does not contain HFCS.  If you notice the salad dressings aren't even opened as I make our salad dressing anyway.  I must have bought them as a back up for something.  Who knows how long they've been in the door of the fridge.  The relish stayed.  I am not about to make homemade relish for the whole 5 times over the Summer that someone wants to put relish on a burger or dog this Summer.  And I don't consider one food that contains HFCS in a house a problem.  Oh it was also in my bread and bread crumbs which I switched out as well for Panko and Oorowroot, but those were found lrking the next day.

I thought there would be more items actually, but then like I said we've started moving away from processed foods at the new year.  See above for what a typially shopping trip yields.

So out went the bad stuff. It's quite easy to replace with fresh or organic.  You aren't going to find an organic version of HFCS so there you go.

Aside from removing chemically stuff we are trying to put better stuff into our bodies, and every (okay, almost every) morning starts with a glass of Keffir, and a glass of green juice.  Surprisingly a few people have already asked for the recipe so here we go.... so simple, and tastes pretty good.


Dr. Oz Green Drink Recipe


Ingredients

2 apples, cored
2 big handfuls of spinach
½ cup of parsley
1 celery stick
1 thumbnail length of ginger, peeled
1 lemon, peeled
1 medium cucumber, peeled

Method

Read the instructions for your juicer.  The are all different and some can handle some things while others require special peeing, etc, Juice, stir serve

Serves 2

No comments:

Post a Comment