Monday, April 11, 2011

What I made... and a "Superior Meatloaf"


Hmmm... I was thinking that meatloaf is kinda ugly, and so I just took the photo and got it over with.  However, now I am hungry and after posting it I think it looks juuuuuuuust fine... maybe a sprig of parsley would have helped the photo?  Doesn't matter what it looks like it faaaaaaaaaaaaantastic. 

As a kid I hated meatloaf.  HATED it... hated it... hat-ed meatloaf?  How is that possible?  I love meatloaf now, and ever since my husband scored this recipe from my sister (who is married to his childhood friend... this is his mother's recipe.... long story... they introduced us it's not a coincidence) it has made it's way into rotation.  And let me tell you people.... it's good hot, it's good cold, you can freeze it, you can take it back out and heat it or put it on a sandwich.  It is truly a "Superior Meatloaf", that's what the top of the index card said.... and it is.  And it is certainly better than anything else I made this week.  I made....


Pizza.... half pepperoni and half pineapple of course... in case you don't recognize blue pineapple.

I made... the baby look funny... and myself look very tired after a seminar, then staying up all night in a hotel with two kids, then an all day seminar again.... yes that's me... I'm not really cranky and bossy.... okay I am but I don't look it right?  RIGHT?


And a big mess in the laundry room.... this is after 5 loads that are cleaned and folded and half put away.

Let's stick with the meatloaf.  Repeat after me.... thank you Lois.


Superior Meatloaf

Lois (name withheld to protect her from the mobs of people that will want this)

Ingredients

1 ½ lbs ground beef
1 med onion chopped
2 eggs
1 stack pack saltine crackers (1 2/3 cup)
1 ½ tsp salt
1 ½ tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 ½ tbsp horseradish
1 tsp prepared mustard
1/3 cup chopped green pepper
¾ tin seasoned tomato sauce (regular size can)
½ tsp thyme
¼ tin seasoned tomato sauce for top
Method

Lightly combine all ingredients except thyme and ¼ tin tomato sauce. Pat gently into greased 2 quart loaf pan. Sprinkle with thyme and ½ remaining sauce. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 1 hour. Turn out loaf and top with remaining tomato sauce while still hot. Yields 8 servings. Serve hot or cold.

1 comment:

  1. I am bookmarking this recipe; I too hated meatloaf (well, meat of any kind) as a kid and now I feel the need to make up for lost time.

    And your photos are just lovely!

    ReplyDelete